CLICK ME

Thursday, November 3, 2011

When Your Boyfriend / Husband is "Mat Salleh" (White Guy)

Language differences can be funny sometimes

I love him, really I do but when it comes to telling gossips or stories, I would say some gossips and stories are better told in Malay. Few times when I am in the peak of gossiping, I like to use Malay proverb. But then he couldn't understand what I mean. So I have to translate the proverb in English which ending up sounds peculiar. Nevertheless, he is such a charming, whenever I tell him things in translated Malay, he learned to nod and agree, so my story cut short and he can continue with whatever he is doing.

The example of what I translated (chuckles)


1. Sambil Menyelam Minum Air
Meaning: Taking Advantage
Translation: Drinking Water While Diving

2. Sudah Jatuh Di Timpa Tangga
Meaning: Having Bad Luck Over and Over Again
Translation: Fell From The Stairs and Being Hit By The Ladder
English Closest: When It Rains It Pours

These two are the most used proverb in my "gossips". What are yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment